The Kedarnath Temple is one of the main pilgrim centres in the nation. Situated at a high altitude in the state of Uttarakhand, the shrine is visited by millions of Hindus every year. There are a few things every tourist must keep in mind before starting the journey of Kedarnath. Here are a few significant tips, things you must do or what you must avoid through your Kedarnath trip of Uttarakhand.
- It is advisable to avoid severe winter and monsoon months. May to June and September to October are considered the best months to travel Kedarnath. The track leading to the temple gets extremely dangerous through peak monsoons as landslides and floods are very common at this time.
- Make sure to carry your light winter wear even though if you plan to travel during the summer season.
- It can rain anytime at Kedarnath, so it’s compulsory to carry an umbrella and raincoat along with your waterproof shoes.
- To save yourself from the cold breezes, carry a windcheater, woollen socks, woollen caps and a headscarf. This will allow you to survive the chill that comes with wind on the upper Himalayan region.
- Now, this is a very important tip. Start preparing your body for the Kednarth yatra/trek by getting started with preparatory exercises much in advance.
- Cold creams, lotions and sunscreen creams are a must.
- Medical kit such as painkillers, cough syrups, antibacterial creams, muscle creams, and medicines for cold and fever are a must.
- It gets too exhausting after long treks, so do take dark chocolates, dry fruits and glucose for some immediate energy.
- Carry battery-operated torch (if possible solar-powered), additional batteries for the camera and fully charged power banks.
- No private SIMs work in the Kedarnath area for security purposes, only BSNL operates here.
- Book your guesthouses in advance and do not wait on last-minute bookings because, during peak season, the area witness the massive crowd.
- Altitude: 3,553 meters above sea level
- Best time to visit: Summer (May – June)
- Best time to visit: Winter (September – October)
- Nearest airport – Dehradun’s Jolly Grant Airport
- Nearest Railway Station – Dehradun railway station