Singapore to extend partial lockdown till June 1 due to surge in COVID-19 positive cases

Singapore is all set to continue its partial lockdown till June 1 seeing the rise in the number of COVID-19 positive cases. The information was announced by Singapore PM Lee Hsien Loong during his fourth national address on the pandemic crisis. The extension indicates that all the offices in the island city-state will continue to be shut until further notice and only vital services will be allowed to operate.

The PM said that some hotspots such as market areas remain a challenge as people still gather together in huge numbers in spite of several measures and warnings. He also stated that people will be disheartened by the “extension of the circuit breaker, particularly our businesses and workers, who are hurting greatly”.

On an optimistic note, he said that he hopes that everyone will understand the present situation and that the lockdown extension is only to sort out the virus and restore their economy. He further said that the number of unlinked cases has not come down yet, which indicates there is a possibility of “hidden reservoir” of community cases in the nation.


The last he addressed the country was on April 3, where the government requested people to keep social distance to limit the spread of the fatal Coronavirus. Since then, Singapore saw a rapid downfall in new cases. But the cases of COVID-19 positive cases have shot up in migrant worker dormitories, given the crowded living conditions.

The PM, in his televised speech, said the government is ready to propose new measures to take care of migrant workers who are mainly being affected by the virus. He said, “the migrant workers, let me emphasise again, we will care for you like we care for Singaporeans”.

He not only acknowledged all the workers but also reassured them that the government will take care of their overall well-being and they will make sure they get paid and can send out money home.

The emergency action was taken after 1111 new cases were verified in Singapore on Tuesday by the Health Ministry. The most surprising part was that only 20 among the infected were Singaporeans and permanent residents. With these new cases, the figure of active cases has gone 9125 in Singapore with 11 deaths so far.

Read more travel news at DivertLife!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *